A Mini Case Study
I wanted to share this mini case study of a marketing and web development project I completed recently. It highlights a few simple steps that sometimes business owners don’t just see for themselves, or perhaps they just don’t make the time to implement.
I was contacted by the owner of the website Acisni.com – a cell phone spy /monitoring software company, specializing in advanced parental control solutions.They cover cell spy app reviews – hacking information and in depth guides on how to use spy apps in legal ways.
This was something a little out of the ordinary for me – a pretty specialized market at first glance. The owner had two areas he wanted my help with:
- To increase Brand awareness
- To increase conversions on the website
Just what I like, a clear brief with actionable steps. He wasn’t looking to implement a whole range of tactics at once and he didn’t want to spend a fortune. The first step was to do some initial research into this market and see what the competition were up to.
As far as the website content and layout was concerned I spotted a few things that could do with improvement, but nothing too major. The information seemed well laid out and to be honest it was by far the best of any of the competitor’s sites I looked at. It is a particularly spammy looking niche with lots of small two or three page websites – all repeating the same information.
So content wise, he was definitely on the right track. I spotted that the sales pages definitely need some updating with stronger calls to action. His conversion rate was poor but hardly any wonder – it was difficult to find out how to actually buy anything.
The big thing for me in terms of branding was the complete lack of it. I mean he had a nice custom logo and some good photos on the site but apart from that not much else.
No social accounts at all and not even a way to “share” posts. Looking at the competition I suppose he thought why bother – no one else is doing much.
Implementing Some Changes
Conversions – on my advice he put in some simple “Buy Now” buttons using strong colors which stood out on the sales pages. We also looked closely at the internal linking on the site and created a sales funnel – simply linking more to the actual sales pages.
Branding – We set up a few accounts on Face Book, Twitter and Google Plus. This may not be a particularly social sort of market – I can’t see these accounts being overrun with shares but in terms of validation these accounts will have an effect.
Once the accounts were set up I got some followers (bought some!) and showed him how to maintain them with regular posts relevant to his niche. A simple plugin – Sociable – enabled the easy sharing of all these accounts from the website.
The result of this is to give some validation – look, all these people like this site it must be good! You wouldn’t believe how well this works.
It is early days but already conversions are up at least 20%. The buttons and internal links are probably having the greatest effect; it is always hard to translate the social validation directly into actual numbers. Given how little work was done and how little money was spent I view this as a success.
These changes were very basic and certainly did not need my help – most people should be able to spot some of the problems this site had. The thing is – I have seen it many times when the person close to the business can’t see even the most obvious problems.
Sometimes I make my fee just by having a fresh pair of eyes on a subject. Take some time out today. Step back and try to look at your business as a customer. You might be surprised what you come up with.